Monday, January 27, 2014

Mock Newbery Discussion

For the past five months I've been reading any children's chapter book published in 2013 that has any hint of winning the Newbery Award. I marked my winner months ago, but just recently read a book that is challenging my thinking.

Any book published in 2013, aimed at children from birth to 14 is eligible for the Newbery provided the author resides in the United States. The following are the books my co-workers and I read that had Newbery potential. I've bolded the selections that I've read:

  • Counting by 7s
  • Lincoln's Grave Robbers
  • Paperboy
  • Navigating Early
  • Every Day After
  • Hokey Pokey
  • A Tangle of Knots
  • Beholding Bee
  • Zebra Forest
  • Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library
  • Flora and Ulysses
  • The Center of Everything
  • The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp
  • Doll Bones
  • Far Far Away
  • One Came Home
  • The Real Boy
  • Hold Fast
  • Rump
My original pick for the Newbery award was Counting by 7s. I adore that book. After reading Navigating Early, I have changed my vote. Clearly Counting by 7s should get an honor award, as should Paperboy, Zebra Forest, and Escape From Mr. Lemoncello's Library, although it's more likely that True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp will get the honor nod.

A few co-workers and I have been reading and discussing some of these titles for the past few months, and decided to meet up for dinner and host our own Mock Newbery discussion. The results of our voting are:

Personal Picks
Emily picked Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library
Alesha picked Counting by 7s
and I picked Navigating Early

Then we chose who we think the Newbery committee will select and we had a three way tie:
True Blue Scouts
Navigating Early
Counting by 7s

By this point, the margaritas were kicking in, so we didn't have any further debate to try to sway the other "voters" to side with us, but we all agreed that all three of these books will likely get an award or the top honor.

Additionally, Alesha thought Beholding Bee would get an honor, Emily thought Lemoncello should get an honor, and I had a tie between Paperboy and Zebra Forest.

The actual awards are January 27th at 8am EST and I'll be up early to watch them live! Children's librarian nerdery FTW!

No comments: