Thursday, October 23, 2014

NaNoWriMo Take 2











This year will be my second shot at NaNoWriMo. For those of you unfamiliar with NaNoWriMo, it stands for National Novel Writing Month, and writers all over the world log tons of hours during the month of November to "win" the task by completing a 50,000 word novel.

Last year I attempted and failed. I wrote a fanfiction novel rekindling Eleanor and Park's (of Rainbow Rowell fame) relationship 20+ years in the future. I started off with a bang, and as I plugged away at the novel I realized that my idea was more of a novella than a novel. Novella:
a fictional prose narrative that is longer and more complex than a short story; a short novel.

I had written almost 11,000 words and realized if I ended it where I wanted to, I would only get about halfway to my word count. To stretch it to 50k words, I'd have to add a bunch of fluff to bulk it up. I chose to do neither, and went back to my towering pile of books to read that I had neglected for half the month.

But *this* year will be different!

I'm doing some NaNoWriMo events at my library to help other NaNo'ers, myself included, in succeeding in their goal. The first of which was a workshop the beginning of October led by my friend, and successful published author and numerous time NaNo winner, Lacey. I went in to the workshop hoping for inspiration and enlightenment, and I left with both.

I also left with a magical unicorn fusing of two ideas I had been tossing around in my head over the last year!!!

So with this magical unicorn idea, I'm planning to work my booty off to hit my word count. And maybe I'll even share some snippets after all is said and done.

Who's with me??? I'm jerilee40 on the site if you want to friend me so we can NaNo together!!



No comments: