Thursday, July 20, 2017

Napping Rules

I've learned a few things about running, racing, and training over my years of trial and error. One of the best training tips I learned when I was training for my first marathon, and I learned it by accident. Once my long run mileage got up there in the 2-3+ hour range, I would naturally nap after I got done and showered, and my nap almost always equaled my long run time.

And it stuck.

I think sleep is such an important part of recovery and training, but I also know that most of us go to bed early Friday night so we can be up early to run on Saturday, and if we didn't nap after the run on Saturday, then we'll be in bed by 7pm yet again. And that makes for a boring social life. I realize I'm lucky in that I don't have any obligations other than Kyle and my pug baby, and they can both usually be talked into taking a nap with me. And if Kyle can't, then surely he's got some project somewhere to work on, leaving Pugbear and I to snooze on and on.

So give it a try during your next long run. And if anyone tries to give you any guff about it, just tell them that Jeri said you had to. Surely that'll work. :P

No comments: