Monday, May 4, 2009

brats=great pre-run fuel

I had a great weekend and even greater training runs.  Friday night we went over to a friend's house to hang out before we hit up the bars, and the vino was flowing like wine.  YIKES.  But it was delicious and much needed after a ridiculously stressful work week.  We went out to a new bar in town where I begged and begged my boyfriend to dance with me and then threw a pout-fest when he wouldn't.  In his defense, no one was dancing.  And... I probably wasn't in any condition to dance.  Hah.

Saturday was spent lying around complaining about my horrible horrible headache.  I did manage to finally suck it up and go for my 4 mile run around 5pm, but only because Taylor was threatening to leave me at home for the night if I wasn't ready to go out at 7pm.  It was hot.  And sunny.  And windy.  And I had eaten 1/2 a qdoba burrito 6 or so hours before.  It was a part of the trail that I've never run on, so that did make it better.  It was supposed to be a "fast" 4 miles, but didn't really end up as such.  4 miles in 35:05 for a 8:47 pace.
  1. 8:58
  2. 8:52
  3. 8:40
  4. 8:33
Saturday night we went out and I stuck to small quantities of delicious Midori Sours (very little alcohol) and liters of water, knowing I had a long run to complete on Sunday.  Also knowing my liver could not handle wino night number two.  :)  We ended up leaving the bar early and coming home to watch Seven Pounds, which was awesome.

Sunday we woke up to the most beautiful spring day.  It was sunny, but breezy and coolish.  We decided to grill some brats for lunch.  I'm now convinced that this should be my pre-run meal.  Ha. Ok maybe not, but I had expected to have some serious digestive issues with that, and didn't at all.  My seven mile run was amazing.  I waited until 6pm to run, so it was probably in the upper 50's and overcast, but still warm/cool.  I honestly felt like I could run forever at the pace I was going out.  Which is great, because it's my 1/2 goal pace.  :)  I finished in 1:01:57 at 8:51 pace.
  1. 9:19
  2. 8:58
  3. 8:49
  4. 8:59
  5. 8:51
  6. 8:38
  7. 8:21
It was a great strong run.  Followed by my favorite:  taco pizza night.  I also took a picture of our amazing pizzas to show you guys, but I was too too hungry to pause and find my camera.  We make it at least once a month though, so I'll make sure to snap it next month.  :)  All in all it was a great weekend of food and training runs, and I even managed to get a bit of a tan.  WHOO!

6 comments:

Mica said...

Hahaha, you've discovered upon a running secret! Brats=Good pre-run fuel. Ho ho, I may have to test that hypothesis.

Unknown said...

I love those wino nights, but it makes the runs that much tougher the next day. Great job on your pace!

J said...

Maybe it was the protein in the brats that helped with the run?? Seems like you had a really great weekend! Hope this week isn't as stressful for you!

Jamie said...

wine always makes for a really tough day the next day. good for you for getting a run done! Sounds like a great weekend!

Denise said...

Why does having fun have to include a headache the next day?? I hate that. Oh, and I always want to dance after some cocktails...even when no one else is!

Cindy said...

nice splits! i can't resist the wine, even before race day. ah well, it;s good for the cv system!