Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Tough as Nails*

*Not me, the run.  Uff.

Tuesday night (speed work night) had me doing 9 miles, with 7 at a tempo pace of 8:44.  Nine miles and speed work should never be allowed into the same sentence, just sayin'.....  I contemplated running outside vs. hitting the gym.  Because of the flooding and some trail maintenance, the bike trails are closed near me.  Also, I live in a bit of a valley, so no matter which direction I run, I end up having to run some pretty decent rolling hills.  7 tempo miles + wind + hills = ahhhh hell no!  Gym it is.  Unfortunately, I don't know if this was a better choice or not.  The gym was so hot and humid.  So many sweaty bodies (mine included) made for not so awesome conditions.

I'm going to be honest, this run was tough.  One of the toughest I've done in a long time.  I even tried to work the magic with my brain where I tell myself that I ran a full 13.1 miles at a 8:34 pace...but ya, the brain just didn't want to hear it.  I think I was probably dehydrated and fairly underfueled, which didn't help the situation at all.  Also, my legs were tight.  Holy cow.  Not sure if the 20 miler is still in them or what, but they sure didn't feel as fresh as they normally do for speed workouts.  I ended up bargaining with myself that if I could stick out the 7th tempo mile, I could forgo the cooldown mile, and opt for a cool down walk until my heart rate returned from skyhigh to normal.  I'm really good at making deals with myself.

I ended up doing 8 miles in 1:10:44 for a pace of 8:51 (tempo pace:  8:43).

1. 9:38

2. 8:37
3. 8:47
4. 8:49
5. 8:42
6. 8:50
7. 8:43
8. 8:35

While we were out on St. Patty's Day my old roomie mentioned that she was thinking of doing a HM in Vegas this year.  Of course I freaked out.
Jeri:  OMG!!!  THE VEGAS RNR?!?!?  I'm totally doing that!  You should do it! You should do it! You should do it!

Um ya.  I was slightly excited.  She's not a runner, but wants to get into shape, and I totally think she can do it.  We're going to have a powwow soon to sit down and talk about what she wants to get out of training, what she wants to put forward during training, etc. so I can mold a beginner program for her, as well as give her a rough guideline to follow for base building.  Is there a market for running coaches for newbie runners? Because I think that would totally be my niche.  Oh wait, I'd have to actually be a certified coach?  Um..ok.  But I love getting other people inspired to do something they're totally terrified of doing.  Very fun.

In other exciting news, while doing some race searching in my area (btw, seriously my faaaavorite thing in the world to do, other than cuddle HA!, is to plan out my racing schedule), I stumbled upon something exciting.  My schedule from May's marathon to September's HM is pretty wide open, and I had plans to run as many 5ks as humanly possible, along with another HM if it worked into my plan.  Well I found out that the group that put on the 5k that I won last year (whoot whoot!) is expanding their race day to include a 10k and a HM.  Given the small field from last year, I'm guessing they'd have a similar turn out, and is plenty of time after the marathon to give it a go.  If I could place in my AG for a HM, I could probably retire as a runner (jk...kinda...ha).

Check out the Hungry Yogini's awesome yoga giveaway!

15 comments:

Trying To Heal said...

woman, kudos to you for even doing a speed workout that long. that's freak'n madness. i don't think i even did that when i was in xc in high school! but then again, i'm not a champ like you!

Anonymous said...

great run!! Don't you just love tempos?

Anonymous said...

chick! get on that fueling stuff!! it's gonna start to wear on you as your mileage gets higher and higher! :) ummm, but either way, I AGREE. 9 miles + tempo? not in the same sentence...or at least not very often ;) way to pump it out! (on the TM?! seriously? wheeew)

Anonymous said...

Yeah I definitely find myself not wanting to run with others unless they are faster than me for long runs or workouts. If it's easy runs then the more the merrier!! Thanks for commenting!!

Pining for Pinterest said...

Great job on the run! I think Vegas would be so much fun to race down the strip :)

Jamie said...

That is a seriously tough tempo run! Nice job! Be careful with the fueling and hydration... it came come back to bite you in the arse marathon day if you don't practice/train for it now.

Heather said...

I agree, "9 miles" and "speed work" do not belong together in the same sentence. Good for you getting it done!

Marathon Maritza said...

Holy mackeral that is a tough run! I hate the wind, so I feel your pain but then the tread is evil too. Glad you got it done!!!

I am hoping to be at the LV marathon this year too!!!!! Fingers crossed, it depends on a few things.

X-Country2 said...

Great run! I'd love to do Vegas. I heard it's an awesome race.

Mica said...

Can we talk about how much faster you have gotten? Those are some awesome-ass splits, no lie!

Glenn Jones said...

Great workout Jer! I trust you have some longer (10, 12, 14) mile tempo on your training schedule? That's where the meat and potatoes of marathon training is. All those long tempo miles goes directly into your lactate threshold bank. You'll thank them come race day....

Glenn Jones said...

And yes - I think I sweated my B-tag out of existence. My bib was a soggy mess pretty early Sunday....

Anonymous said...

You had me at speedwork and a 9 miler! wooey! way to go girl.

Anonymous said...

Another awesome workout lady!

Isn't it awesome when friends/family wanna get into running? I want everyone to realize how freakin' awesome running is! My mom and sis don't understand why I run, so for Christmas I bought them entrees to a 5k. Ha! They will see for themselves how amazing it is when they cross that finish line!
Maybe your friend will end up bravin' the hills, wind and flooding with you in the near future!

Dana said...

rock n roll in vegas sounds awesome!