Thursday, October 8, 2009

Brick Workout (Ish) + You've got MAIL!

I had been looking forward to the weather on Wednesday all week. Sunny, warm, a reprieve from the horrendous cold rain. Could it be? My first nice weather day to take out Polly?!?!?! But first, my run. Work before play, ya know? I had to do an easy 4 miles. Since I was planning on taking the bike trail for my bike ride, I decided to do a hilly route for my run. Easy run....hilly run...same difference I suppose. :)

My Garmin started beeping at me at 1.39 that it was LOW BATTERY, all doom and gloom like. Oh garmin, get over yourself. I kept looking down at it, almost as a challenge to see how long it would last before giving up. Up hills, down hills, through hills, wait...what?? That puppy stayed strong through the whole run. Ok, well it did have one minor mishap where it tried to tell me I ran a mile in 4:30, but that sounds pretty legit, right? Luckily it was only the final mile that was messed up, and I know my ending point, so I was actually able to figure out my splits. Good to know that the low battery will go for at least an additional 2.61 miles. Heck ya.

I did 4 miles in 37:37 for a pace of 9:25.
1. 9:31
2. 9:39
3. 9:26
4. 8:59

Next up, the inaugural ride on Miss Polly. If you missed her big unveiling, here she is again.
Swoon. I checked weatherbug and determined that I had approximately 30 minutes to bike before sundown. Plugged in the Garmin for 5 while I found a sweatshirt to put on, switched it to cycling mode and I was off. To be honest, the first couple of blocks were a bit off. I haven't ridden a bike (other than a stationary) in probably 3 years. And since the handlebars aren't straight across I was kind of all over the place. :p After we got used to her, I was off.

Not kidding you, I was literally grinning from ear to ear the entire run. It was so much fun, and she's just so gorgeous. I did have some issues with the back pedaling brakes. I kept reaching for them on my handlebars and coming up with nothing. Hah. Also, there are a couple of hills that made for some trying times on a one speed, haha, but nothing too horrible.

I did 5.02 miles in 30:38 for a pace of 9.8 mph. HAHAHAH! Speed demon on the yellow beauty. I actually was biking VERY slowly especially around tight turns because I was super afraid that another biker would be flying through in the opposite direction and I'd crash, especially since I wasn't used to brakes, etc. Plus, I didn't by the bike for speed, merely fun. One of my good guy friends was making fun of my bike, and was shocked that I didn't get a "serious" bike since I'm such an athlete. I took that as quite the compliment, but know I'll only be biking for fun, and have no need for a spendy serious bike. :) I made it home just before the setting sun.

While wheeling my bike up to my apartment, I saw this growing out of the rocks by my sidewalk. A purple pansy. :)

These were my Grandma's favorite flowers, so whenever I see them I think of her. I took it as a sign that she was saying hello and that she also loved my sweet new ride. :) It is pretty random that it was growing wild, especially in some random rocks, and after 2 nights of frost.

Thursday night I got home from work and was BUMMED that I didn't have any mail. Doesn't it just make you feel unloved? Waah. But when I walked up to my apartment door, I saw this propped up against it.

First of all, I had to laugh because it was in an Asics running shoe box. I never buy boxes to wrap Xmas presents in, because I always have excess shoe boxes laying around. Haha. Too funny. I opened it to find this AWESOME collage made especially for ME. :) A while back I won a contest that Lacey put on through her blog Common Objects & Everyday Events. I was super excited because I never win anything, and I looooooove Lacey's blog. She's such an inspirational Faaaaaaaast runner, and always leaves such thoughtful and insightful comments on my blog. Have I mentioned how much I love the running blog community yet? ;)
Check out all this sweet loot!!! Definitely some really cool stuff in there I've never tried, a way cool magnet (which is already on my fridge for inspiration) and the DVD Running the Sahara, which I'm super excited to watch! Thanks for the giveaway Lacey. It was super fun, and I'm stoked I WON. :) P.S. I totally plan on cutting the sweet collage out of the box and displaying it with some medals/race bibs/etc. :D

Sadly, I've made the decision not to run the 5k I had planned on running tomorrow. :( I'm super bummed, but looking at the hourly forecast it's supposed to be a wind chill of 24 degrees, 17 mph winds, 20% chance of snow/freezing rain, and is supposed to snow tonight. I race for fun, and racing in that weather doesn't sound like too much fun. Which means I'll for sure be doing the 5k on the 24th, and hopefully the 10k on Halloween, because this girl wants to RACE (just not in the snow :p)!

Best of luck to all the bloggies who are racing this weekend. Kick some booty Mica, Morgan, Glenn, Jamie, XCountry2 & ChicRunner aka Danica, and all the others I've forgotten. I'll be patiently awaiting your results and race reports, since I'm a loser and axing my race. :p

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Miss Polly is looking foxy! That's such a sweet thing about your grandma and the pansy. Isn't mail, especially packages, just the best!?!

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Thanks for sharing the Grandma/pansy moment with us. You have given me my favorite ahhh moment of the day. And, wow, you got all that in one shoe box!? Fun!

Jamie said...

Yay for finally being able to take Polly for a spin! So sweet you saw a random pansy and had a moment. And super fun mail! I love mail!

Thanks for the shout out too!

Anonymous said...

Ah, Polly, still looking gorgeous over there ;) Glad you finally got to take her out!

that package looks awesome! the best kind to get on your door step - made from scratch!

RunToTheFinish said...

Lacey is the best seriously!!! The loot looks wonderful as does Polly, seriously I just love that bike

No Longer Using said...

HOORAY!!!!! hehehe. i'm SO GLAD you got it and like it. i had a lot of fun making that/sending it and it was packaged with blogger looooove :) hehehe. xoxo!!!!!!!!!!! must watch running the sahara!!! :)

i would love to do a brick workout!!! i also love that i had no idea what that meant before reading blogs. lol. it will be done. i will do this soon. yay! something new to try! how do you switch garmin to cycling mode??

X-Country2 said...

My Garmin is a total drama queen too! Ha. Happy you could take Polly out for a spin. :o)

Sarah said...

Nice splits!! Also, you have some great friends!

Anonymous said...

I'm running a race on Halloween too!! Will you be sporting a Halloween costume on race day?!

Love your bike! and LOVE that you named it Polly! I name my bikes too, people think I'm weird. Must be a runner thing :).