Friday, October 16, 2009

Long Run in the 40's? No prob.

Since I worked last Monday (one of our paid holidays off, yet some people have to be in the office, I know, LAME!) I got to have Friday off.  Which worked out perfectly for wedding festivities.  I knew I'd be in no condition to run Sunday morning, and wouldn't have time to do my long run Saturday morning before getting my hair and make up did, I decided to get up early and do it on Friday before the bridesmaid brunch.

When I started the run it was 41 degrees with some winds.  I wised up this time and remembered to bring my handheld water bottle since the fountains are shut off.  I was actually pretty happy about the temp.  I've learned quickly that 40's are good.  30's and 20's...not so much.  :)  I wore running tights under my light yoga pants, an under armour shirt, a long sleeve t, and a fleece with my gloves.  It was actually pretty perfect.  The only times I was too cold was after stopping to stretch.

It took me a while to get going on the run, but after the first couple of miles, my legs decided to just go.  :)  It was nice to do a speedy long run for a change (I've been taking them pretty easy since the half since I was mainly focusing on the 5k that never was).  

I did 10 miles in 1:28:47 for a pace of 8:53.  I was super excited with a mile to go to see my fabulous tri-buddy EO on the trails.  It's always nice to see a friendly face.  :)

1. 9:17 
2. 9:13 
3. 9:06 
4. 8:57 
5. 9:05 
6. 8:54 
7. 8:47 
8. 8:48 
9. 8:31 
10. 8:06 


The only drawback to the run was that I had to pee from mile 2 to mile 10.  Go figure.  Good to know my bladder is that strong.  Hah.

I got home and had the most brutal ice bath of my life.  Seriously.  My body temp had to be pretty low post run just from being outside and sweating, but I was seriously struggling in the tub.  Luckily the ice melted fast and that was my cue to get out of there.  Phew.

I had to quick get ready and beautified for the bridesmaid brunch.  It was at a big wig doc's in town and the house was gorgeous.  The house across the street was literally my dream house.  I did encounter my first...um....issue with being a vegetarian.  The host served some delicious fruit, a salad, and a egg based quiche, with, you guessed it, ham & bacon.  I felt like such a poop just playing with my food and not actually eating any of it.  Oh well, I should've known.....this incident is what I like to call "foreshadowing" for the weekend's events.  :)


After the brunch I decided to go out and buy a camera.  The camera I was using (that broke RIP camera) was Taylor's old camera that I got as a parting gift :p in the breakup.  It's really kind of a crappy camera (no offense if you're reading this Tay) but did what I needed it to do for my limited photos.  I was basically waiting for it to crap out to buy a new one.  And a new one I did.  :)  I actually hate purple (despise...loathe even) but it was on sale, and I won't have to worry about getting it mixed up with other cameras.

While I was at Target I did notice some cold weather running jackets with wind resistant material, an inner warming layer, and water resistant shell for $40.  I'm kind of thinking about getting it.  I'm sure it's not as nice as the $$$ ones, but I'm going to end up layering and layering like a fool anyway, so it'd be nice to save a little cash.  Especially since I just made an impromptu camera purchase.  :)

Friday night was time for the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.  The rehearsal was super fast, and the dinner was at one of the nicest restaurants in town.  I definitely teared up a bit during the speeches (again foreshadowing for the whole weekend).  The bride is second from the right.  We've all roomed with the bride at some point in some mix matched fashion.  We also got some cuuuuuuute Coach purses for our bridal party gift.  Um...yes please.  :)

4 comments:

Jamie said...

I hope you are planning into going into wedding weekend details ;) Plus we need more pics from the new camera!

Yes 40's are good for running, anything lower not so fun but I'll still do it. Awesome job on the speedy 10!

Susan said...

Coach purses for bridal gifts?? I'm so jealous!

Jen Feeny said...

After spending 10 days up north I've decided I don't know how ya'll do it?!?!? My poor little extremeties were so cold the entire time!!! And you took an ice bath after to boot! HARD CORE GIRL!!!

Mica said...

Nice job on the chilly run. I always think it makes me go faster, even more so if I had to pee the whole time!