Sunday, November 15, 2009

Biking + Domino Table

This week I did some more biking.  Non-running makes me want to not blog on my running blog, so my apologies for my laziness.  After complaining to my co-worker about my boring bike workouts, he suggested I do some intense hill workouts.  I figured it was worth a shot.  Previously I had checked my heart rate while doing another bike session and it was hovering around 101.  Um, no, need to get that puppy up there!  The intense hill workout sure did it.  Wowsers.  I did 12.15 miles in one hour, and was covered in sweat.  That's more like it.  :)

Ok, so my last post may have conjured some questions among my readers.
John asked:  So, is there a date in the works with triathlon/college guy?! Your fans want to know!  :) 


Sorry guys.  There is no date in the works for me and the tri guy.  He's a super cute guy, and we had a thousand classes together in college (we had the same major), but I just don't think we have that spark that's necessary.  Plus I'm fairly certain the love of his life is his training.  ;)  Which there's nothing wrong with, but can you imagine trying to find time for each other if we were both in training?  Ay!  Plus, I won't compete with a bike for attention.  :p


Also, Slomohusky left me the best comment I've ever gotten, so I wanted to share it with you, because I think it's SO TRUE:   When you find that human version of the Asics Nimbus all will be right and very happy.


Who knows...maybe there is a boy out there who's interested in chasing down running Jerbear....we'll just have to wait and see..... :)


Outside of running, I really like to create things, sometimes that's baking or cooking, which I've shared with you on my lil ol' blog, but other times it's weird-o arts and crafts stuff.  I was looking at an arts and crafts book and found a table covered in dominoes.  My living room is black, white. and yellow so I thought it would go perfectly.  I already had a cheap-o fake wood looking end table, so I figured it was a go.  After searching high and low for dominoes (apparently they only sell colored ones at the store these days, go figure) my Grandma and Madre came through for me.  


This table was literally a 4-5 day project (strung out over 3 weeks or so, because I was so darn annoyed with it).  I had to paint it.



And then I had to put the dominoes down.  Since I would get them in bunches from my fam, I would work on it as I received them.  






After attempt #1 of covering the table, I realized that some of the dominoes were slightly different colors and different sizes=fail.



Attempt #2 I tried to get all geometric on the table.  Thinking I could outsmart the dominoes that way.  It started out as a great idea.

But that quickly became a fail as well.  For some reason I can't find the picture, but it ended up with random open spaces which I didn't like.


So I tried again.  Attempt #3.  Again thinking with a pattern mindset.

So far so good.  Solution to different colored dominoes:  striped pattern.


Trying to not get my hopes up at this point, as it usually takes you to the very end to realize that you've messed up BIG TIME.


YAY!  I still need to cut some dominoes in half to fill in the outside layer, but I LOVE the way it turned out.  Totally fits my somewhat funky/cool style and was el cheapo to do.  Just call me the edgy Martha Stewart.  :)

15 comments:

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Like it. Nice creative idea and fun project, especially during this downtime from running. I will remember this posting next time I have an injury (which I hope never happens). Putting your stubborn persistance of running/training into something creative.

Thanks for the shout out! Lets just call him Mr. Nimbus instead of Mr. Right chasing, or running to catch up with ya. If I can Mrs. NB 1062, Mr. Nimbus is out there for Jerbear.

Jamie said...

Very cute table! It turned out great!

Trying To Heal said...

ah, no worries about not running and doing the biking...we all gotta heal somehow right? :)

Nicci said...

Wow, now that is a cool table... very creative!

Anonymous said...

That turned out So cute!! i can't imagine how frustrating (slash, Tedious!) it was to put those things on the table in different layouts! totally worth it though :)

Kathleen said...

Wow, that table is SWEET!You are so creative and artsy- I love it! Ha, just saying..you should design a super-fab pong table in the future :)

Steel Springs said...

What a cute table! I love seeing the design iterations.

Susan said...

I looooove crafty things, so I love that domino table! So creative and unique...and looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

It turned out very cute! I like it! I'm so not creative like this!

John said...

Sorry there'll be no love connection with Mr. Triathlon. But Mr. Nimbus is out there. You'll no doubt connect when the time is right. That's how this stuff works.

Nice table!

Heather said...

Nice job on the table. I'm impressed that you kept redoing it - I probably would have given up! :)

Jen Feeny said...

I L-O-V-E the table so cute!!!

Regarding Tri-Guy and finding Mr. Right... I totally had a similiar scenario, where I met a great Tri Guy and quickly realized I'd never be able to compete with his love of the sport. Being one of the few other single runner/bloggers out there don't you sometimes wonder where all these girls found their men?!?!? Seriously! LOL!

As for your 8 min rap... I'll work on it... I mean I dont' know if I'm ready to brave revealing my supreme lame-o self via video... but who knows how Ragnar will go down this week! I know B.o.B & I are supposed to video some of it so perhaps we'll co-produce something just for you! LOL!

Mica said...

Nice crafting, lady! It looks great.

Ugh, biking workouts really kill me. I haven't even tried a real one yet; the stat bike at the gym is enough!

J said...

wow that table is cool! You are so creative!

Kristin @ The Southern Summer said...

Love the table! Consider yourself lucky because I dont think I have commented in like, uh months, on anyones blogs! GAH stupid busy life taking away my downtime.

Slowly catching up on everything but WHOA that table would take me weeks to do with my OCDness. I usually dont attempt things that require precision because when I start a project I want it done THAT DAY or I dont do it. So, kudos to you my friend!