Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I remember when 5 miles was my looooong run.

Man, I have a tough time motivating myself for a run when it's crazy dark outside.  I miss my bike trails that are nice and soft (in comparison) on my legs.  I miss being out with fellow runners/bikers/fitness enthusiasts.  At night, this trail turns into an episode from Forensic Files where we're trying to ID DNA from my cast aside Nimbus 11.  [shudders]  So on to the sidewalk it is.  To be honest, I don't have any great runner routes near my place other than the trail, because why would you run anywhere other the trail unless you HAD to?  You don't.  That's the answer.  I've been running to my old stompin' grounds for my easy runs because the area is safe, and sometimes I can run on the road in slow traffic residential areas.  Unfortunately it is a hilly BEAST to get the mile and a half to the stomping grounds....then hilly for the last mile and a half home.  Annoying.  Oh well, those hills have gotta be working towards strength, right?  RIGHT?!?!

Ahem, so last night I had an easy 5 miles to do.  After the horrendous run that was my 12 miler on Saturday, my legs still hurt.  I even treated them to 900 downward dogs on Sunday, no respect I tell ya.  My hammies were just en fuego, which never happens.  I'm always a quads-in-pain kind of gal.  Since I'm still sans iPod I just let my brain flow to wherever it wanted to during the run as I took it at a please-stop-hating-me-hammies-love-jeri-pace. 

Observation #1:  I get cat calls A LOT.  At first I thought I was just looking particularly cute for my run, then I just realized it was because I wasn't plugged into my iPod.  Usually I only hear this form of attention if I'm at a particularly quiet part of a song; otherwise, I don't hear the whistles/yells/cries out for my #. 

Observation #2:  Songs get stuck on repeat waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much in my head.  Seriously, it's like a broken record up there.  And I also learn how well I don't know the lyrics.  Fail.

Observation #3:  I remember when 5 miles was my "long run."  This was my favorite thought on my run.  I thought back to summer 2005 when I started training for my FIRST half marathon.  My first long run on the schedule was either 4-5 miles, and I remember being so proud of finishing it.  Yes, I was very athletic in high school, so I am lucky that running comes pretty easily to me, but I have never been a distance runner.  My focus has always been speed work and sprints.  Now 5 miles is a short/easy/recovery run in a 30+ mile week.  I love that about being a runner, it's so fun to look back at where you were, and to see how far you've come to get to where you are today.  Just proves that anyone can accomplish major things physically, just takes hard work and a lot of mental focus.

Observation #4:  40* is not cold.  You do not need gloves (took them off at mile 2).  You do not need an ear warmer (although I'm prone to earaches, so I kept mine on just to be sure).  You don't need heavy running pants (capris would've worked just fine).  And 3 layers on top is a BIT much (I sweated through all 3, um gross).  I could've swore I froze my butt off during previous 40* runs, but holy heck, I was sweating bullets!  Windless runs really make all the difference I guess.

I ended up doing 5 miles in 48:09 for a nice pace of 9:38.  My legs thanked me profusely for it, and have finally eased up on the intense uncomfort.  Speaking of nice pace, check out my splits.
1.  9:38
2.  9:42 (hill)
3.  9:39
4.  9:38
5.  9:31

Umm...ya.  I secretly want to do a short/easy run with EXACTLY the same mile splits, but that's pretty ding dong close if you ask me.  Especially because I was just letting my legs go however fast they wanted.  :)

Ok on to fun stuff.  :)  My old roomie got her wedding pictures back and they are divine.  Seriously, I want to get hitched just so I can hire them to take gorgeous pics of me on my day.  Please enjoy.


 The lovely ladies and bride in our changing quarters moments before the wedding started.


The fun wedding part after the wedding before the reception at our "go to" bar.

The happy couple (the party bus was Hawaiian themed).  I secretly hope this is their wedding card photo.

We were told to do creative intros.  My groomsman and I decided to do a hip/shoulder check.  The horrendous facial expression was unplanned, but adds a great accent to the photo, no?

Wedding party dance.  Not sure why we're dancing w/each other and not our groomsman though.  Hmm..

12 comments:

Zoë said...

I love reading your blog...you crack me up! :) Great observations, too! isn't it great to remember those LONG 5 milers? Ah yes, awesomeness.

Trying To Heal said...

hehehehe...oh 5 miles as long runs. dude, i remember when FOUR was long! we are absolute studs now. i did 5 miles today too. 10k in a few days! woohooo!

Anonymous said...

my first "long" run (training for my first Half too!) was to go for an hour. I thought this was THE BIGGEST victory - I remember thinking "that wasn't So bad, and I survived!!!!" :) It is crazy to look at how far you can go in a short time.

3 layers in 40*!?? Ha, uh, no wonder you were sweating bullets, chick. save that for the sub-0 days! (ah!) :)

Anonymous said...

I love that facial expression - priceless!!!

40 is cold!! LOL :)

Kathleen said...

Love the pictures! And oh my goodness, I remember feeling SO hardcore after my first 5-miler!

Jen Feeny said...

5 mile runs are quite nice! I just wrapped one up before work this morning. Great job on those splits girl! Woo hoo!

Love the pics!

Have a wonderful holiday!!!

J said...

Those wedding pictures are priceless!! Some one in a trash pickup truck yelled at me today on my run and it scared the you know what out of me! I even jumped! lol but usually i run when there is no one out so i dont get yelled at! I can't imagine if i got a lot of calls!

Aron said...

i still remember my very first 5 mile run... i went home and slept the whole afternoon!! haha :) now its the "easy" runs. so fun to look back.

Heather said...

Love the wedding pictures!

You are becoming a winter runner - "40 is not cold." I'm so proud! :)

RunToTheFinish said...

so funny how our thoughts on runs change. I agree 40 is not cold!! but heck her people are getting out sweaters for 70 degrees

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

I hear ya. Fun how a 6 mile run was my longest run of the week once. Now, 8-10 mile runs are medium or intermediate lengths!

Fun photo's.

Alyssa said...

Hahaha! Your observations were hilarious. I've been having the same problems trying to pick out my running outfits, I'm always either too hot or freezing. There's no happy mediums I tell ya!
Love the wedding pictures! You looked great!