Sunday, November 8, 2009

Yoga, Welcome Back into My Life. Please wipe your feet.

Over the past few weeks I've had a number of aches and pains. It started with whatever that muscle is under your butt cheek that connects to your hammie (on the left side). Which led to pain in my left hip. Then on Monday's hill workout, I started having pain in my left foot (on the outside of the foot in between the heel and that bone that sticks out).

Dear body,
What gives?!?!
Sincerely Sad,
Jerbear

I decided that in addition to getting new shoes, my old Nimbusi (my official plural to the word Nimbus) had over 400 miles on them now, I would also implement good ol' yoga back into my routine. Ever since the challenge that occurred in August and September, I've rarely done yoga. But it makes me feel sooooooo good. And so strong. Last week (while I was too cool to blog, sorry about that btw) I started waking up somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-6:45 to get in some yoga before work. It was sooooooo great. So far this week, I've only managed to get some in on Monday morning, and only some free flowing poses at that. But I am going to work on incorporating that into my routine again.

I've looked into some yoga studios in town. One of them does free classes on the first Friday of the month, which I missed as it was last Friday.  Another studio in town offers your first class for free, and their classes are considerably cheaper. I was thinking about asking for a yoga punchcard (assuming I like the studio) for a Xmas present. Yes, I'm always on the look out for great gift ideas for ME. Hehe.

After taking Tuesday off to appease the left side of my body, I had 5 easy miles to complete in addition to a volleyball game.  I ended up staying at work a half hour late, which meant that it was DARK when I got home.  :(  I still decided to use the bike trail for my run, even though there are some spots that are a little...umm...scary.  My left foot started hurting within the first mile and was hurting so bad at the halfway point that I just wanted to quit.  The unfortunate part about the out and back routes are that halfway through you are 2.5 miles from home.  :(  I sucked it up and kept going.  Every rustle of the leaves made me think that there was a crazy and/or deranged serial killer ready to jump out and chop me into bits.  Nope.  Just rabbits.  Lots and lots of rabbits.

I got home and scarfed some food and got ready for volleyball.  I switched into a different pair of shoes hoping that would help the foot pain.  No go.  We won 1 of the 3 matches, and let a huge lead go in the 3rd match which would've given us the W.  I wasn't super happy after the game, especially since I had played in pain.

After the game I came home and was a full on pout fest.  I had started throwing the word "stress fracture" out into my mind.  I did some research on the internet and it looks like it could either be that or tendonitis of some tendon that wraps from your ankle to the bottem of your foot.  I'm self diagnosing myself with the tendonitis one since it usually only takes a couple of weeks to heal vs. 4-6.  I am for sure taking the next week off from running, probably more like a week and a half.  If I need more, I'll take it.  I think I'm in good enough shape that I could still do the Dallas White Rock 1/2 in under 2 hours with training the 2-3 weeks prior.

I also think I might be breaking up with the volleyball team.  This pain came on shortly after my first game last week, and it makes sense that would be why it hurts.  Otherwise, I'm following almost an identical plan to the September 1/2 marathon, so it shouldn't be an overtraining injury.  The only variable that is here now that wasn't present then is volleyball.  Sad, because I do really enjoy playing volleyball, but if the girl can't run, poop will hit the fan!

I'm going to spend my time off rocking some bike workouts, some yoga, core exercises, and getting my push ups ON!  Anyone have any good stationary bike workouts you want to pass my way?  I'd love you forever!  :)

11 comments:

Steel Springs said...

Hi - I'm a new reader. I'm really sorry to hear about the foot! What a bummer. I hope it heals up soon!

Yoga sounds like a great idea. I've been meaning to add some into my schedule, too. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

No Longer Using said...

i'm constantly on the look out for cheap yoga classes but every single one around here is $15, seriously bummin'. i hope your pain goes away soon! tendonitis,.. sounds annoying. stress fracture would def be pretty devastating, too. either way it sounds like you have a good plan in place as far as yoga and biking. and i don't think i knew you played v-ball! that is intense!!!!! i totally want to play bball these days but just don't have a good place to play. maybe i should join a YMCA or something. more money... more... basketball. lol. have a great day!

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Ankle - is it a sharp pain or dull ache pain? This sometimes indicates tendon problems or fracture. Also, how does it feel just walking. Your walking pain or lack of it also an indication one way or the other. Make an appointment with a Doc and find out. Better than self diagnosis, and you can find out if your Doc is good for runners and runing injuries. I went through two before I found a good one for my daily obsession at 4:00 AM.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh No! hope the time off helps :/ and Yoga definitely never hurts! not that I do it...but I always think about how I *should*...so, that's a step right? ;) You're definitely in good enough shape that missing a few runs during this training probably won't hurt ya. In the meantime - do that RICE stuff! (ya know, Ice, Compression, etc....)

Susan said...

I really like yoga when I did it the other week...much harder than it looks! I could see it getting expensive, however.

Boo for injuries! Maybe you want to have a doc look at it...I felt much better once I knew what was wrong, even though it was the same as my self diagnosis. The doctor gave me some good tips for stretching and healing, and now I'm back running again! It couldn't hurt!

Jamie said...

i'm sorry to hear you are having pain/foot issues. that sucks! i hope the RICE method heals you up quickly and you are back in no time.

Jen Feeny said...

Bummer girl, I hope you feel better soon!!!! :( RICE that puppy like a MOFO!

J said...

Hope your foot feels better soon! Ice that baby! I get scared on my morning runs all the time!

Alyssa said...

Injuries really test your sanity don't they. I battled injuries (more so a large injury that led to many more) for 2 1/2 years and it was so horrible. But injuries teach us alot I think, helps us be more aware of our body. That's awesome that you listen when your body is telling you I can't do it, I know plenty of runners (including me sometimes) that just try to run through the pain.
Enjoy the yoga, biking, and push-ups! When you jump back into running you'll be fresh and ready to go!
-- That's awesome that you are running Green Bay Marathon! That's in May, right? Any reason for picking that race? I was thinking of running the half there but I can't decide. Still not committing to the marathon yet, i'm having too much fun with 13.1. haha

Glenn Jones said...

What Slomohusky said...

Bummer to hear about your foot. Make sure that a doctor checks it out.

And for what it's worth - I have not ridden my bike since June 1008....

Unknown said...

For some reason I never make time for yoga, although every time I do it, I love it. I hope it helps work out all your aches and pains.