Thursday, November 26, 2009

EEEEEK!

Happy Thanksgiving kiddos!  I want to share my thanks with you guys, since that seems to be the trend.  Plus, my family totally skipped the going around the table say what you're thankful for, business.  Geez.

I'm thankful for:
-Fabulous friends who stick with you through thick or thin.
-An awesome family who drives me up a wall, but loves me unconditionally.
-A healthy and strong body that takes me farther on foot than I ever thought it could.
-All my great bloggy friends, whom I've begun to appreciate on so many levels throughout my training.  
-Elf playing almost non-stop from now until Christmas (it's my favorite movie).

Wednesday night after work, I headed off to the gym for an intense speed workout.  It was COLD and crazy windy, so the gym won without a question.  On the schedule I had a 1 mile warm up, 6-8 800 m. repeats at 3:40 pace, with 400 m. walk breaks, and a mile cool down.  I was going to play the 6-8 by feel and see how I felt since I haven't done a hard speed workout for a month because of my injury.

The first interval felt great, but the rest/recovery quarter mile seemed to take FOREVER.  After that first one, I decided to shorten it to .15 instead.  I ended up doing all 8 x 800's and ran them all at or below a 3:40 pace, and the pace felt great.  I definitely miss running hard and fast.  :)  I did compromise with myself that if I did all 8 and hit my pace, I could shorten the cool down to a half mile instead of a mile.  DEAL!  Also, when I was done running, I realized I was only .2 miles from 7 miles total, so I did some speed walking so I could count a full 7 miles towards the Holiday Booty Buster Challenge !

Warm up1 Mi9:449:449:44  
Interval0.5 Mi3:3513:197:10   
Interval0.5 Mi3:3921:257:18   
Interval0.5 Mi3:3927:547:18   
Interval0.5 Mi3:3934:217:18   
Interval0.5 Mi3:3941:057:18   
Interval0.5 Mi3:4047:477:20   
Interval0.5 Mi3:3954:337:18   
Interval0.5 Mi3:381:00:597:16   
Cool down0.5 Mi4:491:08:379:38






 
Recovery/walk times and distances were omitted because the chart was ridiculously long (even more so than currently).  No one cares how fast I walk (I'm guessing).  :)

Turkey Day I woke up bright and early so I could get to the gym and knock out my easy 5 so I'd have time to shower and get ready for the holiday.  When I walked outside to my car, I realized it was MUCH warmer than I thought it was.  I checked weatherbug, and it was 30* with a 26* wind chill.  When I looked before I went to bed, it was supposed to be 17* at 9am!  Outdoors it is!  And I'm sooooo glad I ran outside.  I hate the gym, and really want to save it for runs that HAVE to be done there for safety purposes.

I saw a bunch of grade school aged boys playing flag football, and desperately wanted to go home, grab my Favre jersey, and come back and ask to play.  I love me some flag football.  Sidenote:  In college I was the captain and QB of my girls flag football team (The Packer Puffs, natch), and we went undefeated for 4 seasons (fall & spring) for my junior and senior year.  We were KIND of a big deal.  :p

Otherwise the run was pretty eventful except for the brutally cold wind during the last mile.  Uff, my face was burning by the time I was done.  I did 5 miles in 47:13 for a pace of 9:27.
1. 9:24
2. 9:25
3. 9:29
4. 9:31
5. 9:22

My miles got slower, so that was fun and special. :)

In exciting I-might-poop-my-pants-news, I received the following email yesterday:

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!  I'm planning on signing up on my golden birthday, which is one month from today, WHOOOOO!  (Yes, I will be running my FIRST 26.2 miles in my 26th year, which also happens to be my golden year, hurrah!)  But I've been so concerned with my poor wussy foot and the Dallas White Rock HM, I kind of forgot that I'm going to start training for a marathon soon.  Holy guacamole.  Anyway, if I had been wearing a heart rate monitor at my desk, it would've probably gone in the "danger zone" upon receipt of that email.  Hah.

Hope everyone had a great turkey day.

13 comments:

Steel Springs said...

Great interval workout! The marathon in Green Bay sounds fun. Happy Thanksgiving.

Susan said...

I love ELF! Such a good movie.

I keep trying to find a marathon on my birthday this year (since I'll be 26 too), which is proving to be much harder than expected even though my birthday is on a Sunday. I love the 26.2 on your 26th birthday idea. :)

Alyssa said...

Awesome speed work! I have a real hard time getting myself out the door to do speed work, it makes a 15 miler seem easssy! Nice work!

That's so exciting you are signing up really soon! Can't wait to hear about your training process! Maybe it'll motivate me to sign up for one myself. :)

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Hope you have a second pair of pants and undies at work along with HR monitor. Pant pooping - never fun. :)

I have a Favre Jets Jersey. Does that count for a spot on your flag football team?

Elf - the bathroom scene singing its cold outside and "THE worlds greatest cup of coffee" my favorite bits and pieces.

Wow, too much bathroom stuff mentioned in this comment. Have a happy Holidays!

Unknown said...

Nice intervals. Love ELF. and so excited for your first 26.2 in your golden bday year...awesome!

Glenn Jones said...

Wow. I hope you ate more than one serving last night. Those are some tough workouts! 8 800's? Wow. You certainly earned *any* extra calories that you decide you want to ingest this weekend!

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. From this point forward for a couple of months I will be in awe of you and your workouts. There is NO WAY that I would be outside running.....

Mica said...

It sounds like that marathon is destiny! It's written in the stars for you.

Heather said...

Nice job on the speed work! Way to get all 8 of those intervals done.

So excited for you to be running Green Bay . . . it will be an awesome experience for your 1st marathon!

J said...

Great job on the interval workout! I am going to attempt a treadmill interval workout one of these days and i bet it will be interesting!

Running a marathon in your 26th year and all that sounds amazing!!

Anonymous said...

NICE freakin job on those intervals - it takes a Lot of patience to knock out 8 800s, much less on a treadmill. geeeze, go you! :)

Isn't it the BEST feeling to actually Register for the race?! ah, I was so pumped after I clicked that little button. My training starts sooon - agh! We'll be mara-training buddies, I like it. ;)

You should start an ELF-watching count. just sayin'.....

Pining for Pinterest said...

I LOVE Elf too! Great job on your speed work!

Sarah said...

I heart Elf. I need to watch it this week I think. AND yeah on Green Bay! Excellent choice!

No Longer Using said...

yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! very exciting. i also ran my first 26.2 in my 26th year!!! :) fabbbbb.