Friday, August 17, 2018

Running Without My BRF

Let me tell you about my best (running) friend.....



I'm sure you've noticed lately that my post-run selfies are missing a very important person: my BRF. Sadly, most of my marathon training thus far has been done without my BRF, Toni. I was so excited to train for a marathon with her but life happens, right? She has a super exciting opportunity not here (insert the crying emoji here, please) so I've been without my BRF.






It's crazy to think how close you can get with someone just through running all of the miles together. I joke that running with someone is like taking a shot of truth serum beforehand, because I end up just baring my soul on long runs with people. So many of our runs together were like free therapy sessions. In the course of all of our miles, we had 3 out of 4 parents diagnosed with cancer. We lost two parents. Work drama, life drama, all of the drama. All of the happy things, new jobs! New dogs! SO MANY PRS!! So many hard miles, so many miles that were full on unicorn runs.











Running best friends are just the best things on this planet, and I really hope you have the chance to find yours, random internet readers.

















I'm so sad to not be able to spend 30-50 miles with my BRF each week. There are honestly some weeks that I would spend more quality time with Toni than I would my own husband. Despite being so sad, I'm so thankful that she entered my life when she did. I met Toni a couple of months before my mom died, shortly before our family had the hospice conversation, knowing my mom's cancer had spread and it was only a matter of time before her body shut down. Running became my coping mechanism to deal with my grief, grief that I was struggling with from the time my mom was diagnosed with an incurable, fast moving cancer, that was essentially a death sentence. Having someone in my life who would just be there, to go for a run, or a walk, no matter how far, no matter how slow (we had to go sooo slooooowwwww), no matter how many times I'd have to stop because I'd get all weepy.





















All the love and happiness to my BRF on her next journey in life. And I assure you all, we'll still manage to wear matching outfits on our runs even when we're not together. :)















No comments: