Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Weekly Reads: Check, Please

First of all, I am not a big fan of hockey. Granted I love watching the games, for free, and drinking a beer when our local team plays. Check Please! is on the list of books for consideration for the South Dakota Teen Book awards for next year. After hearing glowing reviews from my fellow librarians, I had to pick it up myself. It was so good. Originally a webcomic, the story is a good mix of hockey bro-ness, but also a sweet story of the challenging transition to college, and Bitty's coming out to his teammates, and falling for a friend. Must read!

My rating: 5 stars

Summary from Goodreads:

Helloooo, Internet Land. Bitty here!

Y’all... I might not be ready for this. I may be a former junior figure skating champion, vlogger extraordinaire, and very talented amateur pâtissier, but being a freshman on the Samwell University hockey team is a whole new challenge. It’s nothing like co-ed club hockey back in Georgia! First of all? There’s checking. And then, there is Jack—our very attractive but moody captain.

A collection of the first half of the megapopular webcomic series of the same name, Check, Please!: #Hockey is the first book of a hilarious and stirring two-volume coming-of-age story about hockey, bros, and trying to find yourself during the best four years of your life.

No comments: