Friday, August 21, 2009

The Run I Almost Didn't Do/Almost Cut Short

First of all, I ALMOST forgot about the yoga challenge yesterday. I was in my jammies, watch Project Runway, when I realized, CRAP, I haven't done yoga yet. No prob...jammies = yoga gear, right? No hair tie to be found? Free hair, free spirit. :) I did a 20-ish minute Yoga for Feet and Ankles series that felt great after the pounding I gave my feet during yesterdays long run. By then it was 10:30am, and I was dreading the 5am alarm.

I slept horribly last night. Just tossed and turned the whole time, never able to find that comfy spot. Every time I stretched out my legs they hurt, and I had a weird twinge in my right knee. When the alarm finally went off, I told Taylor how crappy I slept and how I REALLY didn't want to run today.
He called me 2 minutes after leaving for work--
Taylor: Hey Jeri. It's raining pretty good outside.
Jeri: ........?
Taylor: You know....raining. So maybe you shouldn't run today. Because of the rain. Ya know? It might even get worse. Or it could get better. But probably worse.
Jeri: OH! The rain. Well yes...that is a good reason not to run isn't it. Thanks babe.

And then I thought about it. I haven't been able to sleep all night, what makes me think I'll be able to for the next 2 hours? Along with, what run hasn't been done in the rain this week (I have some sweet blisters to prove it)? So I laced up my shoes and out the door I went.
I usually have a rest day after my long runs, so I wasn't sure how my legs were going to take it. I was supposed to do 5 miles at an easy pace, but had convinced myself that 3 was sufficient. Junk miles are junk miles eh? Immediately after starting my poor middle toe on the right foot HURT. I had gross blister-like spots on the tips of them after the wet runs this week, and after the long run yesterday they hardened into a plastic-like consistency (my God I hope you're not eating as you're reading this) so I started picking at them. WHOOPS. Big mistake. Tender city, occupancy: 1.
It was completely black out, and of course the rain did get worse as I was going (go figure. should've listened to meteorologist Taylor) but my legs felt pretty good. Definitely not as springy as yesterday, but not bed. I got to 1 1/2 miles and decided to do 4 miles instead of 3. Then I got to 2 miles and decided that I might as well stick it out to 5. As soon as I turned around at 2 1/2 I realized that I had a nice gentle (read: heavy) wind at my back and would now have to trudge through it. Luckily I was good and warmed up at this point, so I just powered through it. It ended up being a great run, so I'm glad I didn't skip it or shorten it.

I ran 5 miles in 48:19 for a pace of, yes, you guessed it 9:40. It's kind of becoming creepy now, no?
1. 9:37
2. 9:46
3. 9:45
4. 9:41
5. 9:28

Post run, I hauled booty to get in some yoga before work, since I will have no time to do it before the birthday BBQ I have to attend this evening. I did Yoga for Upper body Strength. Um, holy crap. This was the hardest thing I've ever done. If I'm ever able to do that series in it's entirety I'll probably retire as a yogi. Does anyone have any tips on conquering the crow's pose? I feel like I was really close but struggle with the final balancing. I dunno.

Also, I hope you have all finally enjoyed my Wild West Relay Race Reports. If you missed any of them (or thought they were such masterful creations that you need to read them again) you can assess them here: I, II, III, IV, V, VI. (Really Jeri? 6 part recap? Who do you think you are??)

For Foto Friday, I will share a couple of pics from the Bachelorette Party from last weekend. There are hundreds taken, but only a couple are probably blog appropriate. Jk, we're good kids. :p

Part of the crew--pink & black themed.



The bachelorette and myself. One of the gals bought her some pink furry handcuffs. We were going to take a "cute" pic when the one side broke off in my mouth. Whoops.

10 comments:

Mica said...

Good for you, getting out there for a run despite the peer pressure to stay in!

I feel like I always run the same average pace too! It must be an awesome person thing.

RunToTheFinish said...

that's right killer, the rain can't hold you down.

what was the yoga you did for arms? a DVD? it sounds like one I need!

Trying To Heal said...

i totally would have stayed in bed, but that's cause i'm a loser. LOL.

and i know what f'ing bug f'd me up: DEER FLY. Arggggggggg!!!!

but good on ya for getting out there and running. you are my hero. :)

Jamie said...

i so would have stayed in bed :) way to be hardcore and get a good recovery 5 done in the rain!

which yoga did you do? I need to start I think!

X-Country2 said...

I'm very easily talked into using the weather as an excuse. Easy Bake oven outside? Good enough for me. Way to tough it out!

Anonymous said...

another rain run?? Ooh, look at you go! hope the blisters are recovering :)

No yoga tips here, I have NEVER attempted such things. are you doing it on your own, or DVD style??

Glenn Jones said...

Looks like too much fun! Glad you could get out with your friends! We all need balance.

Jen Feeny said...

Fun pics!

Look at you, you're a Yoga machine!!! :)

Good job getting out there and running girl. More power to ya! I hate running in the rain. Sloshy shoes I am not a fan...

Aron said...

love the pics :)

i still need to catch up and all your relay recaps!!! sounds like it was SO fun :)

Jen Feeny said...

Just got your comment about the Gu's in the sports bra... YOu are a genious! Thanks for the tips!!! :)